How many times have you heard the saying, “Don’t let the bedbugs bite”? Too many and when you think about it, it makes you shiver.
Bedbugs are quite nasty. According to the New York State Department of Health:
- Bed bugs are small, flat wingless insects that are reddish-brown in color and approximately one-quarter inch long, before feeding on blood (about the size and shape of a small apple seed). They are not caused from lack of hygiene and your family pet is not believed to be a factor in their arrival.
- Bites are often itchy, red, and in a line. Topical creams can provide relief.
- They hide during the day on beds (mattress seams, box springs, bed frames, headboards) and in cracks and crevices of walls, floors, and furniture. They come out at night.
- They do not fly or jump, but they can crawl rapidly. They can travel between rooms in multi-unit buildings, such as apartment complexes and hotels.
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) all consider bed bugs a public health pest. However, unlike most public health pests, bed bugs are not known to transmit or spread disease.
Bed bug infestation can be rapid and while you may find them in one bedroom/mattress, they travel via outlets, woodworking, and wallpaper. They are industrious!
How do I get rid of bedbugs?
At Accurate Pest Control we begin with a full inspection confirming the infestation of bedbugs and the scope of their activity. We do this to rule out a misreported flea or tick infestation (we can take care of that too!). We provide prep sheets that must be followed prior to the arrival of our technicians. While time consuming on both our end and the customer it insures success in the removal and treatment of the bedbugs. As the population grows the bedbugs will spread throughout the home and if it is in an apartment, it could spread to other units.
From a commercial standpoint such as a hotel, the inspection could be from room to room. Once the infestation has been confirmed, eradication is necessary.
Don’t panic and start throwing things away.
Please don’t take matters in your own hands.
Contact a professional.
We will remove the bedbugs, offer suggestions, aid in cleaning the space and deliver follow up services as required. We want you to be safe and healthy and return you and your family to a peaceful and restful sleep.
Contact us to learn more of it you think you may have bedbugs. We can help.