Like the flying squirrel and gray squirrels previously discussed, red squirrels also live among us and can cause damage to your home or business structures. Red Squirrels are unprotected in the State of New York. We do come across some cases of red squirrels but not nearly as often as flying or grey squirrels. They are the hardest of all three to eradicate and are as destructive or even more destructive than grey squirrels.
Did you know?
- They are very noisy!
- The red squirrel loves dense forest and are diurnal. In the winter that can travel via a network of elaborate tunnels in the snow.
- These tiny creatures travel effortlessly on trees and through the air from branch to branch, or branch to roof top. On the ground, they run, and when threatened, they can reach a peak speed of 14 mph.
- They build their nests underground or in deep brush. Natural predators include:Raccoons, foxes, hawks, and owls.
- They carry multiple forms of disease including mange, and occasionally rabies.
- Trapping is the preferred method of control as releasing or relocating stresses the animal as it encroaches on another’s territory.
Like so many wildlife forms, they have adapted to living amongst us and within our homes and businesses. Now that the cold weather has set in, they are looking for warm places to nest. They are cunning in nature, tinier, and usually enter lower openings or openings that are not as visible or obvious as a grey squirrel. The gestation period of 36-40 days can yield 3-5 young. If the mother is trapped or leaves the nest, (or your attic) and dies, the young will die as well.
Inspection is the key.
If you have heard these squirrels’ chirps, scratches, and other sounds, then you may be sure you have a guest in your home! Our team will inspect your home for signs of red squirrel habitation:
- Chewed holes in vents and soffits to widen entry.
- Wires split or chewed can pose a fire hazard.
- They love to gnaw power lines and electrical sources
Let us take a look and provide you with a plan of action for protecting your home or business from these cute, but destructive creatures.
Contact us– we’ll be right there!